Friday, December 02, 2005

Let the winter list begin...

The first day of December traditionally heralds the start of the "winter list". Growing up, as I did, in UK this was a totally new concept for me when when I moved over here. The listing period runs 'til the end of February. Still, it's not a bad idea and at least gets you out there looking for birds when one would normally be huddled at home...or better still in the pub! I did it once, seriously, and got to about 118 species in the GTA. A pretty good total by anyone's standards. However, after spending hours looking for, and ultimately dipping on, a Chipping Sparrow it suddenly hit home that it was a horrendous waste of time! Having said that I still start out with good intentions on the first of the month...but by Christmas I've sort of run out of steam and I give up. Still, it's all good fun isn't it?

Anyway, this particular first of December I decided to bird on Toronto Islands - my favorite place to bird in the city. After swimming, which wasn't particulary successful due to my badly sprained wrist, and ticking off my faithful pair of Mockingbirds at me back yard berries I made my way down to the terminal, having to run the final bit due to thinking I was late! I wasn't! It turned out to be rather quiet on the islands overall but there were one or two highlights.

Hanlans Point was almost devoid of birds though I did flush up a nice flock of 11 American Pipits from the edge of the airstrip. Offshore there were Long-tailed Ducks everywhere, and everywhere you could hear them calling away...quite atmospheric in the flat calm and overcast conditions. I was feeling a bit jaded by the time I got to Gibraltar Point but my mood swiftly changed when I spotted a lovely Lincoln's Sparrow lurking by the washrooms...Let's get it straight, was the sparrow that was lurking, NOT me...OK. Whatever, this is a good winter bird and a new one for my list.


After basking in some glory for a while, whilst waiting for the non-existant Gannet to suddenly drift by I spotted a moth fluttering around. Was a Fall Cankerwom Moth (above), probably the only moth one could reasonably expect on this late date. I've actually seen them a few times on the first over the years.


Otherwise I saw a lone Horned Grebe offshore from the pier on Centre Island, a couple of White-throated and one Song Sparrow in the sancuary and a pair of furtive Carolina Wrens skulking in the Japanese Cane on the edge of the boardwalk en route to Wards. There were thousands of Long-tailed Ducks (above) along the boardwalk affording excellent views. I must have seen about 50 Hooded Mergansers too. All in all a most enjoyable outing to this great place...and no people.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

Dave, I hope you weren't really swimming at TO Island!
Mary in England, where I see the same big white swan every morning, but rarely feed it stale bread.

8:23 AM  
Blogger themothman said...

Gosh Mary Deb, I do it all the time - very bracing...and cheaper!

You know, those big white swans just love stale bread, especially if coated in that greenish-blue fuzzy stuff. Go on, make a swan happy in this most festive of seasons...

6:27 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren, prada outlet, oakley vault, christian louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet online, true religion, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet online, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, gucci handbags, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, michael kors handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, longchamp outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton, nike air max, longchamp outlet, red bottom shoes, true religion outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, ray ban outlet, christian louboutin, nike free, nike air max, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, coach outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton handbags, coach purses, christian louboutin outlet

6:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

kate spade handbags
canada goose
canada goose sale
ralph lauren
red bottom shoes
ray ban sunglasses
moncler
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
red bottom shoes
20181.9wengdongdong

11:15 PM  
Blogger omar ail said...



Your site is very helpful
https://antiinsectsss.blogspot.com.eg/
https://antinsects.hatenablog.com/
https://anti-insect.jimdosite.com/
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/
http://pro4arb.net/




4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home